...if you're a healer, or a tank, or have an OS in either of those two categories. Having recently dinged my priest to 80 and in an attempt to gear her up rapidly for arena with Ihra's forsaken partner, I ran a few calculations. Here's an interesting thing, if you are not doing arena to get the relentless gear, which is another post in itself. While you are still buying set pieces, running a heroic probably nets you a better honor return than running a battleground, under certain circumstances (ie, you control wintergrasp).
The average dungeon in WOTLK contains 4 bosses (I added them all together, and then averaged). Which nets you, in terms of honor,
- 4 bosses x 4 stone keeper shards = 16 stone keeper shards
- 6 emblems of triumph (4 for the bosses, 2 for completing)
There are 5 set pieces to buy:
* shoulders = 34,700 honor / 50 emblems, 1 EoT = 694 honor
* legs = 34,700 honor / 75 emblems, 1 EoT = 462.67 honor
* gloves = 43,300 honor / 50 emblems, 1 EoT = 866 honor
* helm = 54,500 honor / 75 emblems, 1 EoT = 726.67 honor
* chest = 54,500 honor / 75 emblems, 1 EoT = 726.67 honor
To wit, the average is that one emblem of triumph = 695.202 honor.
30 stone keeper shards = 2000 honor, 1 shard = 66.67 honor
So your dungeon run, which probably took you about 20 minutes (assuming the negligible queue of a healer, or a tank), netted you
6 EoT X 695.202 = 4171.212
16 SKS X 66.67 = 1066.67
Total : 5237.879 / 20 minutes = 261.89 HPM
Which compares very favorably to anything except AV on holiday. So if you are
1) gearing up your set pieces
2) a healer or a tank
3) in control of WG
then don't pvp gear by doing pvp /sadface.